Sunday, March 14, 2021

'O' Group and a Big Re-Basing Project

 

Because I haven't posted on this blog for a while, I initially posted this article on my main blog at: This 28m Life and I'm cross posting it here to get this blog up and happening again.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've been looking forward for the release of the new WWII rules: 'O' Group. After playing a lot of Chain of Command in 2019, I sort of lost interest in it. Whilst I do like the game I think it's a bit small scale. For a platoon level game I actually prefer Battlegroup & one of the main reasons is: because I can get to use more of the models and figures I paint. CoC doesn't allow for this.

So I've been keen for the release of 'O' Group to get some games of larger actions happening where I can use plenty of the models I have. However, I need to rebase my figures because individual figures are not going to work for these rules. I'm quite happy with this even if it is a bit of a pain in the bum. I can still use the multi based figures for Battlegroup and maybe CoC if needs be. 
I started with my 1943 / '45 Brits because they are the most complete force that I own. With just a little bit a substituting one or two figures here and there I can field a complete battalion with heavy weapons, mortars, anti-tank, engineers etc. I also have enough models to field most of the armoured support and recce that I'll need to start with. Here is the completed battalion.
I have a bag full of these little mdf 12mm dice holders left over from another project a few years back. I added one to the BHQ base to hold a dice for the Battalion Orders. I like it and I'll do the same for all the other BHQ bases.
I'm now on to some Germans. I had forgotten what troops I had so I had to go through them. As it is, the Germans I have are far more fragmented. I thought I had a full infantry company but I don't. What I have is:
    2 x 1943 - '45 platoons with lots of odds & ends for support, 
    1 x early war platoon, 
    2.5 platoons of Hermann Goering Division organized as panzer-grenadiers, plus a section of assault pioneers (these will become a platoon),
    2+ platoons of Fallschirmjager in Mediterranean kit, and
    1 section of early war Fallschirmjager.
As I said... They're fragmented. So they're going to need a bit of work to bring them up to scratch. Each platoon will convert to 1 company so, for instance: I've decided to concentrate on the Hermann Goering's because they're the closest to a complete 3 company battalion and I can also sub them for regular troops if I need to. (The pic above are actually the regular infantry/grenadiers/schutzen).


P.S. A big Thank You to Viv at Knights of Dice for cutting the mdf bases for me. I decided on an odd base size (50mm x 30mm) and KoD came to the rescue for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment