Saturday, November 16, 2019

HG Div and Some Other Bits

I've been thinking that I'd like to make a Panzer-grenadier platoon. I've also been thinking that I'd like to paint up the Hermann Goring Division. Which one should I do?

Regular Pz-grenadiers will look pretty much the same as regular infantry figures. I know there are differences but I'm not overly concerned with those tiny details in 20mm. However, I was aware that the HG Div were organised along the same lines as regular Heer Pz-grenadiers so I opted to do them and kill two birds with one stone!

Because I'm hoping to concentrate a bit more on the Mediterranean Theater, the HG Div fit in well. They fought all through Sicily and Italy for almost of the entire campaign before being shipped to the Russian Front in the dying months of the war in 1945.

From what I can tell by looking up some uniform info is that they wore a greenish camouflage tunic with their Luftwaffe grey/blue pants. So that's how I painted them. They may not be perfect to many purists but they look good enough for me.

I did give them green collar tabs!!!
I made the panzerschreck and his #2 out of existing figures from the Plastic Soldier Company German, boxed set. The #1 was a rifleman and #2 was a medic. The weapon came from another PSC kit. I'm unsure but I think it might have been the SdKfz 251 box. I just trimmed it and carved it to fit the figure's contours.
I also made the platoon commander out of a PSC signalman by adding a helmeted head and a doing bit of conversion on an SMG arm from the same box. The sig figure also had a holstered pistol which works well. I like him... Having a puff of his cigarette whilst plotting his next decisive move.
I also took another pic of the HG pioneer section and MMG that I did a few weeks back just so that they're here in the correct context. This pic is the most accurate as far as the paint job is concerned. I don't have a good enough light source to capture the detail in many cases, but this one came out pretty accurate.
For the upcoming Blitzkrieg I have another SdKfz 321. This one is a "Funkspahwagen" or Radio Car.
So calling in those, all important, Stuka strikes on time will be made all the more easier for the glorious Wehrmacht!

And the US get some reinforcements: A Ranger section. At least I think they're Rangers. I'm not sure how the US name thier pioneers/engineers... ?
Anyway, these are mainly AB with a few Simon's Soldiers. I also have some mine detection/clearance teams to go with these but I forgot to photograph them. There're quite a few BAR's and SMG's in this mix & I don't know why. My only guess is that they're keen to get close and personal. They're friendly little fellows!

2 comments: