Tuesday, April 13, 2021

DAK Re-Base.

Continuing with the re-basing of my figures, the next lot in line are my DAK or Afrika Korps. I had enough figures to convert the lot into a battalion with one exception: I seem to have lost an LMG group somewhere along the line so I painted up a new one.

I pretty much have all the figures needed for most of their support too. In the photo below are 2 MMG bases, 2 AT Rifle bases, 2 mortar bases, FOO +kubelwagon, a sniper and Battalion HQ with a heavy car. If I want I could replace the HQ with an SdKfz 250/3.
The infantry are a curious mix. The majority are AB, with a healthy bunch of Simon's Soldiers (unfortunately these figures seem to gone from their catalogue) there are also some plastics in there from ESCI/Italeri and some PSC late German's converted with the very simple, yet tried and trusted "Paint Conversion" method!
To add to the mix I also have a Pioneer Platoon that can have either a Mine Clarence option or a Flame Thrower for an assault role. The are about 90% AB.
Motorcycles. I did these for Battlegroup and what I have pretty makes up a motorcycle section and/or dispatch riders. For 'O' Group I want a company. Luckily this will be pretty easy to achieve. I've been doing some research and number crunching and the numbers I came up with mean that all I need are two more motorcycle/sidecar combos and a pair of kubelwagons (or heavy cars). I already have the cars and I also have two unmade m/c combos. Dismounted figures is more of an issue as I'll need six LMG teams (12 Figures) and three rifle teams (9 figures). In game I figure I can use them as either Recce or treat them like Panzergrenadiers when they dismount. The single motorcycles will go to BHQ.
So that's what I have in the way of DAK. The infantry side is pretty much complete. Looking at them I figure I could add a shed-load of LMG's and pretty much turn them into a panzergrenadier regiment which would be nice for some big games. (I'd need another 27 LMG stands to do that!... Who makes individual 20mm DAK LMG figures?)
And that's what I've been doing. I'm now on to their opponents in the Western Desert Force. I only have two companies painted and a bunch of metal that got put away last year when I lost interest during our lockdown. One of the finished companies I have is plastic and not very good. I have enough metal AB figures to finish another company but I'll be visiting Eureka on Friday so I can pick up enough to finish off the battalion. I'll still use the plastics but they'll be diverted into the carrier platoon/company/whatever.



No comments:

Post a Comment