Tuesday, May 4, 2021

More Re-Basing - HG Div

The re-basing continues. This time it's the Hermann Goering Division. These guys are panzer grenadiers and as such they have lot of Light Machine Guns (LMG's). When I started this rebasing I thought I could do these guys relatively quickly but I found that it took fair bit of time to accumulate loads of LMG's (18 in all). I know that for 'O' Group I don't really need to represent all of the LMG's but I wanted them to look different and representing the huge amount of automatic weapons in the battalion was the way to do it.

They don't really look that much different to other German units but they do have Luftwaffe blue trousers and head gear and they also have a different camouflage smock. The figures are a mix of PSC plastics, AB Figures and Esci/Italeri plastics.
I don't have many heavy weapons for them yet. Just what you see here. But I can always sub regular infantry heavy weapons until I get some more painted up.
There are a few reasons I chose to do this particular unit. One is because I wanted an elite/prestige unit but I didn't want to do any SS purely on moralistic grounds. Another good reason for doing the HG is because I've never seen anyone else paint them up and put them on the table. A third reason is because I want to concentrate more on the Mediterranean Theatre and the HG Div fought all through Sicily and Italy. Anyway, what ever my reasons: I think they look great.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I also made some new terrain. As mentioned above, I want to concentrate more on the Med but I have very little terrain that fits. So I'm in the process for making some and I decided to make some vineyards.
I've been wanting to make these for a long time but I didn't know how to go about it. I got the Setting The Scene books by Pat Smith last year and when I decided the time was ripe for making vineyards I went to that book and used the methods therein. The only difference is that I made mine individually instead of making them a large set terrain pieces. Thanks to Mr Smith, because otherwise, I wouldn't have had a clue how to make them.
The vegetation is from a long strip of artificial ground cover stuff that florists use. I found it in a local shop for $8 for a big roll. I just pulled of lumps of the stuff and glued it into position using contact adhesive. I still have most of the roll for use later on.
To give you an idea of the scale here's the HG's lurking in the vineyard ready to ambush some unwary GI's.

No comments:

Post a Comment